What is Endoscopy?
Endoscopy is a medical procedure that involves inserting a long, flexible tube with a light and camera at one end into the body through the mouth or nose. . It is an important tool for diagnosing and treating many GI diseases, including ulcers, cancers, bleeding disorders, and others. These are usually used for diagnosis and during surgery. The procedure enables doctors to see inside your body without having to make incisions in the patient’s skin or perform surgery. It also allows them to reach organs such as the liver, pancreas, spleen, stomach, etc. The best multispeciality and cancer hospital in Pune and across the country conducts the procedure with precision.
When do Doctors suggest undergoing Endoscopy?
Endoscopy is said to be more accurate than X-ray for many GI diseases. When doctors recommend endoscopy, they may do so for several reasons, such as:
- Pain in the abdominal region.
- Bleeding symptoms in the upper digestive tract.
- Prolonged nausea and vomiting.
- Trouble in swallowing food and fluids.
- Unexplained weight loss.
- Symptoms of acid reflux (GERD) and heartburn.
- Symptoms of GI disorders such as Crohn’s disease, celiac disease, etc.
- Symptoms of stomach ulcers.
- To diagnose tumours- cancerous and noncancerous.
Endoscopy can also be used for treatment purposes such as:
- Controlling bleeding in the upper digestive tract.
- Stretching narrow digestive tracts.
- Removing polyps, tumours, and swallowed objects.
Common Types Of Endoscopy
- Gastrointestinal Tract: esophagus, stomach, and duodenum (esophagogastroduodenoscopy), large intestine/colon (colonoscopy, sigmoidoscopy), small intestine (enteroscopy), rectum (rectoscopy), anus (anoscopy).
- Urinary Tract: cystoscopy
- Female Reproductive Tract (Gynoscopy): Cervix (colposcopy), fallopian tubes (falloposcopy), uterus (hysteroscopy).
- Respiratory tract: Lower respiratory tract (bronchoscopy), Nose (rhinoscopy)
- Ear: otoscopy
- Through a small incision: Interior of a joint (arthroscopy), chest organs (thoracoscopy and mediastinoscopy).
How to prepare for Endoscopy?
As with any medical procedure, there are some preparations that you should make before your endoscopy. The following is a list of things that you should know and do before undergoing the procedure.
- The doctor will explain the procedure. They will also let you know the possibility of removing polyps, a biopsy, and other procedures.
- Make sure you share your medical history, including medications, allergies, and reactions before the endoscopic procedure.
- You will need to wear loose-fitting clothing that is easy to remove.
- Do not wear eyeglasses or dentures. Check with the doctor about it as in some endoscopies, patients can wear them.
- Let your doctor know if you have any cardiac complications, they will need to prescribe antibiotics to avoid infection.
- Avoid eating or drinking anything for at least 8 to 10 hours before your appointment. It will help examine your GI tract properly and minimise the risk of vomiting during the procedure.
How is Endoscopy done?
The endoscopy procedure begins with the insertion of a thin tube through any natural orifice like the mouth, nose or anal canal, alternatively unlike procedures like thoracoscopy. A small incision is required under anaesthesia. The patient may remain awake during this process but will be sedated for any surgery that may have to be performed on the GI tract. With the best technicians and oncologists in Pune, the entire procedure takes about 10-15 minutes and patients can usually go home after 1-2 hours.
Endoscopy at Galaxy Care Hospital
Galaxy Care Hospital, known as the best cancer hospital in Pune, has state-of-the-art infrastructure to cater to all needs of our patients. We conduct Endoscopic procedures such as Gastroscopy, Colonoscopy, Stricture Dilatation, Variceal Banding, Esophageal Stenting (for esophageal cancer), ERCP, Manometry and more. We have the latest technology to carry out endoscopic procedures and our expert doctors ensure that you suffer no or minimal side effects from it. If your doctor has recommended you endoscopy, feel free to book an appointment with us. You can also get treatment and disease management assistance under one roof!