What is Bariatric Surgery? (Laparoscopic Surgery For Weight Loss)
Bariatric Surgery is a weight-loss procedure used to help people who are obese or morbidly obese. It is also called weight-loss surgery, but it’s important to realize that this type of surgery is not an obesity treatment. It is usually done to help people with obesity who have not been able to lose weight in other ways such as exercise and diet. It can be helpful if you have another health condition such as diabetes, CVD, or arthritis where being obese increases your risk factor. The goal of this surgery is to reduce the size of your stomach and make you feel full after eating less food than before.
What causes Obesity?
Obesity is a chronic disease that can lead to serious health complications. It is defined as an excess of body fat sufficient to impair health. The main cause of obesity is an imbalance between calorie intake and calorie expenditure. This can be due to overeating, eating high-calorie foods, and not getting enough exercise.
Other causes of obesity include:
- Hormone Imbalance (too much or too little)
- Medications that cause weight gain
- Endocrine disorders (such as thyroid disease)
- Emotional factors such as stress and depression
When is Bariatric Surgery recommended?
Bariatric surgery is recommended for patients with a BMI of 38.5 (Asians) or over, or a BMI of 33.5 with other health problems related to obesity such as diabetes, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, or high BP. It is also recommended for patients who have failed to lose weight through diet and exercise, and in some cases, it may be the only treatment option available.
However, just falling under the Bariatric Surgery criteria isn’t enough. Assess the patient thoroughly to make sure that they are a good candidate for bariatric surgery or not. The assessment should include a thorough medical history, physical examination, and lab tests. Mentally preparedness to follow a strict diet and lifestyle changes after surgery is another factor to consider. Bariatric surgery at Galaxy Care Hospital, the best cancer hospital in Pune, has a high success rate. We thoroughly understand your medical history and conditions before suggesting the best lap surgery option. We ensure our patients fully understand all the benefits, risks, and challenges associated with surgery before they decide to undergo it.
Laparoscopic Surgery For Weight Loss
This lap surgery can be performed in two ways:
- Restriction– By reducing the stomach’s size so that only small meals can be eaten and the appetite is satisfied. Gastric Band and Sleeve gastrectomy work by restriction.
- Malabsorption– By bypassing part of the small intestine so that fewer calories from meals are absorbed. Gastric Bypass and Mini Gastric Bypass work by a combination of restriction and malabsorption.
Benefits of Laparoscopic Bariatric Surgery
- Reduced risk of complications such as hernia, infection, and blood clots
- Proven Health improvements in diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, sleep apnoea after gastric bypass.
- Less post-surgery pain and recovery time
- Shorter hospital stays
- Faster return to daily activities
- Quick resume to normal food intake
Laparoscopic Bariatric Surgery at Galaxy Care Hospital
Surgical procedures such as Gastric Banding, Roux-en-Y bypass (Gastric Bypass), Sleeve Gastrectomy, Mini Gastric Bypass, and Gastric Balloon are available at Galaxy Care. Laparoscopic or keyhole surgery is used to perform all operations. It enables patients to get back to normal life as quickly as possible. Galaxy Care Hospital is the pioneer and leader in laparoscopic surgery. When it comes to Lap Bariatric Surgery, our success rates speak volumes. Our advanced medical techniques, state-of-the-art hospital infrastructure, expert laparoscopy surgeons and staff ensures you get comprehensive treatment and care for your weight loss journey before, during, and after the surgery. Feel free to book an appointment with our doctors to evaluate your options for Lap Bariatric Surgery. We can help you lead a healthier life again!