What is IVF?
Fertility problems can affect both women and men. For men, the problem is often with the sperm count or motility. For women, there are so many possible causes for infertility that it is often difficult to pinpoint the exact one without any testing. Therefore, an IVF procedure may be needed in order to have a child. IVF makes it possible for couples who are unable to conceive naturally to have a biological child.
OVERVIEW OF IVF
IVF stands for “in vitro fertilization”. This is the process of combining egg and sperm outside the body. The process begins with stimulating the ovaries to produce multiple eggs, removing them from the body (usually through needles), fertilizing them with sperm in a laboratory, and then transferring them back into the uterus.
The use of in vitro fertilization (IVF) to help couples conceive has grown exponentially. It is perfect to say that IVF is a medical treatment with a high success rate. However, some couples will still need to try other treatments, while others will be successful with just one round of IVF treatments.
WHO NEEDS IVF?
FALLOPIAN TUBE DAMAGE: People with Fallopian tube damage or blockage often face difficulty in getting pregnant without help. IVF is the most common fertility treatment for people with blocked Fallopian tubes.
OVULATION DISORDERS: Ovulation disorders are common in women of all ages. The primary symptoms of ovulation disorder include an absence of menstrual periods, painful menstruation, and abnormal uterine bleeding. IVF can help in such a medical condition.
UTERINE FIBROIDS: Some women may not become pregnant because their uterus becomes too large or heavy due to the growths on the inside wall of the uterus in case of uterine fibroids. IVF can help in conceiving.
ENDOMETRIOSIS: It is a type of gynaecological disorder in which tissue that is normally found inside the uterus, grows outside of it. Endometriosis usually affects women of childbearing age. If the patient wants to get pregnant, IVF might be recommended.
There are many other health conditions that may hurdle your pregnancy such as Impaired sperm production, Unexplained infertility, Genetic disorders or sterilization procedure such as Tubal ligation and more.
OVERVIEW OF IVF PROCESS
The stepwise IVF process is a long and complicated process. The patient has to go through four different stages before they can get pregnant.
Here’s an overview of the IVF Process:
- The first step in the process is to take blood tests, urinalysis, and an ultrasound. This helps the physician determine what the problem may be with the woman’s ovaries or uterus.
- The second step of this process is to give fertility drugs that stimulate egg production.
- The third step of this process is to perform an egg retrieval, which entails inserting a needle through her vagina and into her ovary in order to extract eggs for fertilization.
- Then, eggs are harvested and fertilized by the man’s sperm in a laboratory. The embryologist examines the fertilized eggs through a microscope.
- Next, one or more of the most mature of these embryos is transferred into the woman’s uterus through a thin tube that goes through her vagina and cervix.
- The woman may use hormone injections to help her body maintain pregnancy if she becomes pregnant by this procedure.
- Doctors may also incubate fertilized embryos for future use in IVF cycles.
THE BOTTOM LINE
IVF is the most biologically sound treatment for infertility. It should be your first option if you are trying to get pregnant. It is not a panacea for all female infertility problems, but it has improved the chances of conception in many cases. If you are facing challenges in conceiving without much knowledge about what’s wrong, it’s time to consult Galaxy Care Hospital, the best Laparoscopic Surgeon in Pune. We are well-known for reigniting the hope of motherhood. Our hospital is proud to conduct India’s first successful Uterus Transplant and helped the patient deliver a baby girl from the transplanted uterus. We have achieved a medical feat in infertility treatment, and for IVF our gynaecologists are the best you can consult in India. Do not delay your parenthood any further, book your appointment for IVF today!